
I had my 35-week appointment today and everything looks great. I’m too lazy to find a baby sitter so as usual I took Nathan and Daphne to the appointment. This particular appointment varied slightly from the routine as it was time for the Strep B swab and while he was down there, the doctor wanted to check my cervix. (FYI: Nothing, Nada, Nunca in the softening and dilation department). The entire interaction was quick and modest for all persons present. After the doctor removed his glove and left the room so I could get dressed I noticed Daphne standing quietly at the end of the examining table. She looked up at me with a crinkled her nose and asked in disbelief, “Did he just stick his hand in your bum?”
“Um, yeah.” I fumbled for what to say. I hadn’t considered that Daphne would see anything or actually feel concern if she did. “Uh, yeah, he was checking to see if the baby is ready to come out…. Uh, only doctors are allowed to stick their hands up your bum, okay”
“Okay,” Daphne said, shrugging. With my daughter watching me intently, I hurried to put my pants back on and the interchange ended there.
Needless to say, it was a really lame mommy moment for me. I tried to bring it up in the car so I could explain with more polish what exactly she had witnessed. But the moment had passed and Daphne didn’t seem remotely interested anymore. If there is a next time, hopefully I’ll be a bit more articulate and educational in my response.
9 comments:
Hahaha!!! That is too funny!! I can just picture her face!! Glad the pregnancy is going well! We miss you guys!! Tell the kiddos hi!!
LOL! I love it when those "teaching moments" sneak up on us and we're in no way prepared to "teach". Oh well...she'll forget about it soon enough :) Glad everything is going well though. Keep us all posted!
Awesome. I had to take the kids to one appointment when I got checked and while we were waiting I gave them the run down. I love that when they are young enough they aren't really phased.
I think you handled it perfectly!
That is soooo funny. I still haven't told my 5 year old that babies don't come out of your belly button as she thinks they do. I hope all continues to go well and your happy healthy baby is here right on time!
Happy to hear all is going well! Can't wait for this little Tanner to come! I always have the debate about when NOT to take the kids to the doctor with me. My children love to share information, and I am not sure I am ready for that kind of stuff to be shared. Only a matter of time I am sure.
"only doctors can stick their hand up your bum, ok?" That is the best phrase I've heard in a long time:)
Will there be another update before the big day? Oops, I guess I can call you. Can't believe the widget countdown is 11 days. Charis is around 100. Think you were just there. Love to all.
Ha! What do you mean, "lame mothering moment"? That's just classic! :) Wishing you and your littlest one the best.
Post a Comment