Saturday, May 16, 2009

The Bucket is Mending

Ahhhhhhhh. It's so wonderful to just do nothing and not even feel guilty about it! Doug took James and Daphne to Utah with him on Thursday and they won't return until Tuesday. The kids are enjoying a visit with their Munga and Grandpa while Doug defends his thesis on Monday. When they return, Doug will be Dr. Tanner. Yeah!

In the meantime, it's just Nate and me. Nate still takes two naps so I have a bit of free time. I decided NOT to make curtains, put away winter clothes, plant the garden, or mow the lawn. Those tasks can wait a few days. I do, however, make simple meals--toast, fruit, and a cheese stick--and surf the Internet guilt free. Actually, we’ve done a few things. Yesterday, Nate and I ventured out to an antique store and to the mall (Circle of Friends, 30% off your purchase, at Gymboree this weekend). Today, we ventured to a home decorating store and to Costco for some raspberries and strawberries and bread. I've done one load of laundry, unloaded the dishwasher once, and taken out the trash once. Other than those not-so-bad-with-one-child outings, we've pretty much stayed home, slept and played. I finally opened the book about CP I bought four weeks ago and opened the DVD of Wives and Daughters I’ve owned for three months.

My song lately has been There's a Hole in my Bucket. It goes like this and you all know the tune:

There's a hole in my Bucket, dear Douglas, dear Douglas.
There's a hole in my bucket, dear Douglas, a hole.

Then why don't you mend it, dear Heather, dear Heather?
Then why don't you mend it, dear Heather, the hole?

With what shall I mend it, dear Husband, dear Husband?
With what shall I mend it, dear Husband, with what?!

With some chocolate and ice cream, dear Heather, dear Heather.
With some chocolate and ice cream, dear Heather, with food.

I’ve done that, dear Douglas, dear Douglas, dear Douglas.
I’ve done that dear Douglas, dear Douglas—Now look!

So how can I help you dear Heather, dear Heather?
So how can I help you dear Heather, my love?

A vacation, dear Douglas, dear Douglas, dear Douglas.
A vacation, dear Douglas, a vacation ALONE.


Although I’m not entirely alone and this isn’t my first choice vacation destination, this is sooo nice. Thanks Doug. Thanks Munga and Grandpa. I’m having a wonderful time.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

I love a day doing nothing. I think the kids love it too!
Good luck Dr. Doug@

Mary Sunshine said...

A well-deserved break! I'm glad you are enjoying it! Congrats to Doug!

Jenny said...

Hallelujah!

Emily said...

I hope your kids don't come back sick because they will be at our house all day today and we all have runny noses and coughs! I am sad you aren't here to support Doug, you guys sure have worked hard to get here! Seems like something you should both be experiencing together.

Kayla said...

sounds like you are having a relaxing time!! you definately deserve it! I had no idea that daph and james were down here!!! YAY for Dr. Doug Tanner! that's so exciting!! enjoy the rest of your 'vacation'. :)

Melanie said...

So glad you're getting a break. You especially deserve it!
And congrats to Doug! I'm happy the end is in sight for you and you will soon be together again.

Tish Solomon said...

I like that idea of a vacation... you need it after doing 3 kids on your own for so long. Congrats to Doug! that is so wonderful to be done!!!
miss you Heather