Tuesday, October 28, 2008

In Defense of Americans

My last blog entry was not a poke at Joe the Plumber personally. It was merely an irritated referral to the number of times, 26 to be exact, that Joe the Plumber’s name was mentioned by the presidential candidates. Joe the Plumber does indeed represent all Americans and he asked a legitimate question. We are all wondering if Barak Obama will raise our taxes. It was not until the sixth or seventh mention of “My friend, Joe the Plumber” that Joe ceased to be real person and became instead a political catch phrase flung in vain with the mock sincerity so representative of politicians and politics today. As McCain continued to force Joe the Plumber to be the vehicle of his campaign to attract everyday Americans, the debate became ludicrous. Obama vocalized more diplomatically what so many of us sitting in front of the boob-tube at home thought, Oh, brother stop patronizing us! I do not deride Joe the Plumber, Joe Six-Pack or any other hard-working American. The only derision I express is toward the politician, Republican or Democrat, who supposes I seriously believe he or she will follow through on campaign pledges....Anywhoo, enough crossing swords for one night. I still love all my friends and family from across the aisle.

In a day when rhetoric is as illusive as Osama Bin Ladin, let me sign off with a quote from one of the greatest orators in American history.
Sir, we are not weak, if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature hath placed in our power….I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty or give me death!
Patrick Henry


On a trip to Montana last week we stopped in a little place called Dell. It consisted of a Calf-A, a gas station, a handful of cowboys, and an abundance of the character of the American West.


These are true cowboys. They wore muddy boots with huge spurs, handkerchieves around their necks, Carrhart dusters, and leather chaps. I got the impression eavesdropping on their conversation, they had more education than just what they learned at home on the range.


I think Montana could grow on me.

12 comments:

Jenny said...

Amen Heather. The excessive mention of Joe the Plumber highlights how both candidates have consistently beaten to death issues we thought were important and now are so sick of we could scream because they couldn't be more insincere. Here are some more
'main street/ wall street'
'reaching across the aisle'
'change'
'bush administration'
we could go on forever. Anyway.

You know you're ruining my life by moving to montana.

Anonymous said...

I love small towns like Dell! I could seriously spend a whole lot of time just studying people there...

dmaggiemay said...

Which isle would you be refering to? If you can't trust the politician or his promises...then you should look carefully at where they've been and who they believe in and what they stand for. No politician has enough experience to be pres. How could Bush have prepared for 9/11/2001 or hurricane Katrina ~what ya think the Pres. is God.
I know Obama is a talented orator if not a smooth talker. He is very "presidential" even likable. I have not yet demonized him as I did Bill Clinton well into his presidency. However I am increasingly piqued by Obama and his campaigns refusal to address with anything more then arrogant flip, serious questions. Its like, lets see how long we can thrill the masses, until its too late to to see if legitmate answers to legitimate questions would make a difference in the voters mind.
Up until the conventions I was very open, even excited to vote for Obama. Now, I am committed to McCain, flawed as he maybe. In my mind he has answered the questions about patriotism, service and sacrafice, and dedication. I'm not sure I trust Obama's choice of advisors and mentors past and present. Not to mention my pet subject...abortion issues. Obama is sooo liberal as to have no limits even on partial birth abortion. Oh please...it may be fashionable to be liberal, even moderate right now...think what we value and hold dear...hang on to it while the opportunity is still here. There is a reason most LDS people are conservative. Are we like sheep...NO. We have been endowed with minds to question and doubt to research and reason. I will not be crushed if Obama wins, I will support him with prayer and respect that goes with the office and a deep hope and faith that he is as good as so many people think he is. That he will preserve and promote constitutional rights. That he will serve with integrity.
Since I'm rapidly becoming an old fart, I might not always be this gracious.
Matt will do some serious eye rolling when he sees how long this comment is. Oh well.

dmaggiemay said...

Thats aisle!

dmaggiemay said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

I appreciate your thoughts on the patronizing. This is why I have ceased listening to what either of them has to say. What matters is what they will DO, and I guess to get a sense of that we have to look at what they have done.

Like your mom (and mine), I have reservations about how liberal Obama is willing to be about abortion, among other things (though I don't believe Roe v Wade should be repealed because it won't keep abortion from happening--just make it more dangerous). I'm definitely concerned about how an Obama pick for the Supreme Court might affect the current push by a small but vocal minority to redefine marriage, and what that might mean for our freedoms of speech and religion.

BUT I think I have more reservations about McCain's reactionary tendencies (seen throughout his political career) and his judgment, as reflected in his choice of a VP who is simply not prepared to be President, should the need arise.

I feel like Obama is more steady, more thoughtful, more willing to heed intelligent counsel from a carefully selected cabinet, and simply more well-suited to face the current needs of our country in a smart and effective way.

Also, though I consider myself an independent, feel like health care reform in this country needs to happen more along the democratic line of thinking, even if McCain wants to call it "socialism"--there IS a role for gov't in health care, IMHO.

How's that for another long comment? :)

dmaggiemay said...

Insomnia special. For clarification I do not believe Roe vs Wade will ever be over turned. "Pro choice" is here to stay.
Recently I listened to a radio program on NPR hosting a panel of 4 women who had had abortions.
All bemoaned the horrific emotional consequences of their choice. Only one went on to become a mother later in her life, she regretted her abortion only after the birth of her son. Two of the panalists, had second abortions, one intimating that her "horrific emotional scars" were caused by social stigma. All had abortions because a pregnancy was not convenient. All but one are abortion rights advocates.
Safe medical procedures should be available, however abortion on demand, late term, partial birth, (just a loop around late term limit)is wrong. Obama's record is the most liberal.
One may argue that abortion is not a "hot topic" this election. For me it is always an issue as to the character of the candidate,(Joe Lieberman pro life liberal is a favorite of mine).
While I accept that there is ocassion for termination of pregnancy. Abortion without limits is a repugnant reflection on our times.
And speaking of health care...yes it is necessary. Do you think Dr's contracted with national healthcare would be required to perform abortions. Could they be sued or penalized if they chose not to? Who will protect those pro life Dr's rights?
Speaking of marriage rights: Did you know a Dr in CA was sued because he would not assist a lesbian couple pursue a desired pregnancy. He referred them to another physician who helped them have 2 or 3 babies. The couple sued the first DR for discrimination. The case was in courts since 2001 and in 2008 the couple won their multi million dollar case in the CA supreme court.
Pepperdine U. has closed its chapels to weddings. Because they don't believe in gay marriage and fearing lawsuit for discrimination they have just banned all weddings. CRAZY.
I am too tired to connect dots.
One last story. A long time ago when we lived in Chicago Illinois, members of the church were asked to organize and put effort to oppose the Equal Rights Amendment. Illinois was one of two states that had not ratified the amendment. I reluctantly got on board, drove to Springfield to talk to deaf legislators, wrote letters and made phone calls to promote the cause. I was not comfortable and mocked the fear mongering sisters who just knew they were going to be drafted. I had friends that attended the NOW Conference. They came back and told of the radically evil NOW agenda. The tales were almost unbelieveable. Lesbians adopting children, living openly as lesbians. Legal redefination of family. Employer providing daycare, national daycare. The agenda was unimaginable to me, I wondered if the sisters in attendance were exagerating. One sister described the event as having an evil spirit. Mind you this is a national convention with thousands in attendance.
Back to the ERA. It did not pass in Illinois and was never ratified.
It is one of the few times the church has ever asked members to take a stand on a political/moral issue.
Marriage rights is another.
30 years later the NOW agenda is still there and even with out the passage of their pet ERA the agenda is making great progress.
Cultural revolution.
My little vote a tiny shot against the Liberal mindset that embraces these issues. Yes, I know Obama/Biden support traditional defination of marriage. We'll see how that pans out.
Hey Heather I'll understand if you delete me! It is 3:14 am aagh.

dmaggiemay said...

More insomnia: I misspoke, the Lesbian coupls has not yet "won" their case. CA Suipreme Court ruling allowed it to go to trial.
See: San Diego Union Tribune Aug 19, 2008. or google Guadalupe Benitez.
I am no die hard...I look at people and say why not, live and let live. It is not hard to see negative affects the erosion of the traditional family has on society and individuals.
FYI: google National Right to Life and read where the candidates stand. Then go to:
ERA.org History of the amendment.
Try: NOW.org and read their history and agenda.
If you truly believe the world, the family, is a better place for their efforts go ahead be a liberal.
By the way this is addressed to no one in particular. I just wanted to check my memory.

Mark and Brittany said...

LOL, wow, Heath, way to stir up the hornet's nest. I'll make this short: Obama is not advocating a nationalized health care system - read his plan. It's funny being in the middle of the debate where my conservative friends lambast him for being a socialist wanting to nationalize health care, and certain liberal friends and classmates lambast him for not wanting to go far enough to nationalize healthcare. That's my two cents, and now I'm staying out of it :-)

Heather said...

Thanks for the comments everyone. I too have reservations about each candidate. Heather, you sound like you are in my healthcare boat. I'm planning on writing about our situation in another entry. Now I have to take a shower.

Did anyone watch PBS Frontline's The Choice 2008? They always do a really nice job. I didn't see it but it is being rebroadcast on Nov.3 at 8pm.

dmaggiemay said...

Hi its me trying to function after my insomnia special last night.
Mark, I promise Obama is NOT being called a socialist because of proposed nationalized health care. As you mentioned before, that would have been Hilary's baby.
"Redistributing wealth" is the dirty little catch phrase.
I certainly hope this is not a hornets nest! No sting intended from this notorious waffler.

Matt said...

Maybe I should make a forum for the Lisle family and selected guests to debate politics. It wouldn't be hard, and the blog comment pages aren't really designed to support a debate. But maybe not, because this spike in interest in politics will probably go away after the election.