Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Salt in a Wound and the Costco Food Court


After completing our shopping today I took the kids into the Costco food court for some lunch. Not the healthiest but fast, good, and cheap. It was actually a pleasant outing, no meltdowns or relentless pestering for this or that. But I let something get to me that I’m having trouble shaking. Maybe it’s because I didn’t retaliate or maybe it's because the wound in my heart that hasn’t been bothering me too much lately was torn opened today. Either way, I’m feeling tender and sore, and I wonder if this is just part of the cycle for mothers with children with disabilities.

At the end of our lunch I held Stewy in one arm and dutifully cleaned up the napkins and foil littering our table. Nathan was happy to be down from the bench and began to galumph around a few of the tables in the not too crowded food court. I say galumphing because Nathan has a particular gait that distinguishes him from other kids. It actually sounds like ga-lumph, a short then heavy footfall. We always know when Nathan wakes up by the sound of the galumphing on the floor. Nathan also has a way of expressing his happiness that’s a little different from his peers as well. He has some speech delay so instead of saying “This is great. I love hot dogs and soda and galumphing around the table at Costco,” he offers a high-pitched but not shrill, screams of excitement. In fact, your two almost three-year-old children probably do the same thing.

For a not-so-gentle man just beginning to dine at a table near us, Nathan’s noise, drooling, and movement was intolerable. He stood up from the table with his hot dog, soda and wife and announced to the food court with a loud voice and a gesture that he…” could not sit by that child…that child shouldn’t be making those noises…that child needs to be quieted…. where is that child’s mother.”

I was livid to say the least but the man had turned his back to us so instead, I stared down his wife who finally stammered that he was tired from a long drive before scurrying away. I calmly collected my kids into the cart and headed out into the parking lot. Twenty feet from the building I turned around. I couldn’t let that man go unchecked. I parked my cart, went back into the food court and approached the table where that man and his wife now sat.

I knew exactly what I was going to say: Sir, how is it that my three year old son with developmental disabilities has more emotional self control than you, a seventy-five year old a**hole?


But I didn’t say it.

I could have. I had sufficient control of my indignation and the articulation to match it.

But I didn’t say it.

Something inside wouldn’t let me. Damn the Sunday school lesson I’d just taught on The Beatitudes. So instead, I said meekly: Sir, I’m sorry my son bothered you. He’s three and he doesn’t speak very well so when he’s happy, noise is how he shows it.”

The wife quickly said, “I just told my husband I thought your boy was different. Didn’t I?” The man nodded, still chewing his hot dog and refusing to look at me. “We have a 55 year old boy who is different. If my husband would have known…he was just tired from driving….”

I left them then and returned to my children in the cart. As I walked across the Costco parking lot I began to cry. I cried all the way home. I cried again when Doug came home. I started crying in bed again, which is why I’m up writing this when I should be sleeping…and I’m still crying.

There must be something more to it then. Maybe it’s because I didn’t tell the man where he could really put his hot dog. Maybe I’m hormonal and just too sensitive. Maybe I really should have shut Nathan up. Maybe my perspective is skewed. Had the man directed his comments to any of my other children I would have laughed and remarked how obnoxious kids are but hey, it goes with the culinary territory so go to the Ritz if you want a quiet meal.

I think the “more to it” is grief. Grief that my son struggles and will struggle with asses his entire life. Grief that I love him so much but still fail to protect him. I thought this wound was healing lately. I’ve been better at saying to myself life is what it is and being okay with it. But all it took was one grouchy old man at the Costco food court to open up that wound created by that... dear, dear, wonderful child.

I have a friend who swears by rubbing salt paste into a wound to mend it. No need for bandaids, durmabond, or stitches. Just plain old salt, mixed with water, then pressed into a wound. The salt stings a little bit but given a chance, it stops the bleeding and aids in forming a sturdy scab so the wound can heal. Perhaps my encounter with the salty old man, mixed with my tears, and given thought and time might actually facilitate in the healing of my heart. Just a thought, a needed epiphany.


I just noticed. I’m not crying anymore.

14 comments:

Jenny said...

I am so sorry Heather. About everything. I do think that cranky old man would have said that about any child at Costco being rambunctious or loud or that even had a pulse; he sounds like One Of Those types and that Natey was singled out because he had vocal chords, not CP.

Love the salt and the wound analogy, you are a great writer. I look forward to the day we are better able to laugh things off instead of burst into tears over them. That is so my trademark.

I wonder what it would be like to be married to a grown man whom you constantly have to aplogize to others for and cringe when he goes into public for fear of what he will say or do this time. I hope I never find out.

Kayla said...

This made my eyes tear up! I am so very sorry! and even though you held your tongue and didn't say exactly what you wanted to, you still were able to question that old man jerk but still be classy and respectful. that's amazing, cause most people wouldn't come back that way. I feel so bad about this whole story and I can't even imagine if it were my own child. You are a wonderful mom to those beautiful children! the kids are looking so big, hopefully you can post some pictures of all of them soon!! Hope you are having a better day today :)

Kayla said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Heather said...

You're probably right, Jenny. When I remove myself from the situation I realize I'm hyper-sensitive and maybe a bit over-protective about all things involving Nathan. It's less about grumpy old men and more about my struggle with Nate's condition.

CarrieM said...

Great post Heather. I know as a mother, I want all to be so kind and understanding of my children. I'm glad Nathan has a terrific mama bear who knows he deserves the best from people.

holly b said...

I know what you mean about reacting emotionally to something you thought you were "over". Thanks for sharing your thoughts and I'm glad it helped you stop crying. : ) Like Jenny said, that man probably would've acted that way about any noisy kid.

I think about you frequently, wondering how you and yours are doing in your mountain valley. Wish we could get together for a movie night and conversation....

Tish Solomon said...

what an awful day! some times you just need to cry I think. when the twins were little I had 2 horrible experiences at the store with 2 young unthoughtful (is there such a word) young students... one got annoyed because I was in a hurry and she was standing in front of something I needed and she didn't hear me say scuse me, she was so rude and acted like I had been the most awful thoughtless person in the world... and another I nearly drove into reversing out of my parking... I had looked, and there she was... I was so sleep deprived, and thought if only you knew what was going on in my life you might not be so ________??! but it was so easy to be upset and hurt. and that sucks.

I hope you find your way through. I think you handled the situation really well. yelling and saying how you really feel often doesn't help anyone unfortunately...

i miss you. I wish you were closer. I'd so love to have playdates!! love to all... all of us, but especially me:-)

The Qian Family said...

Heather, my heart is so full reading this. I love you and I wish I was there to curl up on your couch and chat with you! I'm so sorry that that man did that. There are mean, insensitive people around. I know it. I'm so sorry you had to deal with that!!! You are amazing and I'm so glad you shared this. I had an experience last week (and I guess we've all had some, though in different forms) that made me sob for a day. It had to do with someone at church of all places, doing something similar to Alexander. It hurt soooo badly and I was almost mad at my testimony because it would NOT let me react the way I wanted to. Anyway, I'm grateful for your example and I love you!

Unknown said...

Hi Heather,
You don't know me, but I'm good friends with your sister, Mary. She told me about what had happened and I wanted to throw in my two cents. First off, I'm so sorry. People are ignorant and mean. I hate that you have to be confronted with this sort of people. The only good thing to it is that there's a flipside- having a child with special needs means also that you're going to come across people who are AMAZING to your son- even more so because he's got things harder than most.

I know this from experience. My 7 year old son, Casey, has autism, and his baby sister, Abby, has Down syndrome. We've had our share of a** holes. People who I was a lot less nice and Christlike to you than you were. I'm impressed at your restraint. That's one of the toughest things to do when the mama bear claws come out. He may have been the type to say that to any loud child, but the fact remains that he said it to your child with CP, and you can't automatically separate that out.

There's a reason why we, as mothers, has an instinct to protect our offspring. I think when we have children who need more protection, our instinct to protect becomes amplified. You did the right thing. And it's made you stronger so the next time you come across such a jerk (and hopefully they'll be few and far between) you'll be more comfortable standing up for your son, if necessary, or know the difference when it's not necessary.

You are carrying a tremendous weight. Along with caring for your child, you are also grieving the loss of what could have been. The loss of the expectations you had for this child, of which some will not be met, at least not with the ease that most children have. You are adjusting to your new normal. It takes time. A long time. It's like losing a member of the family to death in some ways. Some days you're okay with it, and then some days you are reminded about how much it sucks, and it takes you back to a place of sadness. Just like with that sort of grief, it comes and it goes, but over time, it gets better. It'll never fully go away. You'll always be a little sad about how different your life will be from what you expected, but you'll see that it's better. It's harder, but it's richer. You have to deal with more, but you'll also become stronger than you ever thought you could be.

Okay, this is super long. I'm a long winded person. I just want you to know that it gets better in a lot of ways. Maybe the situations don't, but your capacity to handle them changes. Evolves a little. It doesn't mean that it's okay for people to be mean or that you shouldn't say something. You should have this time and there are going to be a thousand more times where you'll have to. You're teaching people to be a little more kind, a little bit more compassionate, and a little bit more aware.

If you ever want to talk my email is on my blog. Take care.
Lexi Magnusson

Mary Sunshine said...

I talked to a friend who has two disabled children. She says kids need a momma bear to protect them, whether they have special needs or not. It is hard to believe people can be so nasty but there are enough stories out there of people who are that there must be a lot of messed up people running around. I'm sorry you ran into one of them. I love you! P.S. Check out Lexi's blog. She has a boy with autism and a baby girl with Down Syndrome. www.mostlytruestuff.com She's great and very real and a great writer.

Melanie said...

Heather, this was beautifully written and it needed to be said. It brought tears to my eyes. I wouldn't have handled the situation as well as you did and I most certainly would have said things I would have regretted later (although MUCH later).
You're a wonderful mom and you've got amazing kids. And there are jerks everywhere that have no sense of patience or compassion. I'm sorry you ran into someone so thoughtless and pathetic. Someone who is so impatient and cruel is someone that can only be pitied. He surely still has a long way to go in life before he "gets it".
Beautiful analogy - and I hope we can see you and the kids this summer.

Heather said...

I don't think there's much I can add. Just know that I admire you tremendously and you are an amazing mother!

Unknown said...

Wow, Heather...you are so good at putting those feelings into words! I know what you mean! I think these little sweeties tend to reflect what is inside of other peoples hearts a lot. I am sorry his was not a good one. Love you, Beth

Mindi said...

Heather! I'm glad I found your blog! I'm "blog-stalking" right now!!
I loved this post.
I definately would have said something more extreme than you did, and NEVER would I have apologized for my son being excited.
I would ask you to NEVER EVER apologize for your son. Sure, he doesn't speak as well as other children, and he might ga-lumph around the room, BUT HE"S YOURS, and a parent should never ever apologize for something a precious child did in excitement!
Miss you guys!!
Mindi