
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/01/30/alg_cows.jpg

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0f/Daisy_Dukes.jpg
Deep down I'm starting to get nervous. I think she's really serious. It doesn't help that relatives are now reinforcing Daisy. Uuuuuuuggggghhhhh. Please, all those who have names to share, that are good alternatives to flower names and Graham, send them now. Heather is starting to get more stingy about the five name requirement. I need sleep, and she demands legitimate names.
By the way, we are trying to decide if we should find out if it's a boy or girl at the 20 week ultrasound. I think we will wait. That will keep the name pressure off for a while.
This is probably a terrible abuse of my blogging privileges...
23 comments:
Daisy DOESN't go with Daphne, James or Nathan. if you're gonna do flower at least go with something like Lily ;) We went through family history William, Margaret, Elizabeth, Katherine, Kenneth. those are my first 5.
if it's a girl, name her Kayla. that's a good name. if it's a boy name him Tyler.
I think I just solved your problem!!
haha
You are so funny! And hey, it's your blog so you can use it how you want!
Names....??? um.....??? good luck! Unless you want to go with Amy. Now that's a good solid name! hehe
DOUG. Can you imagine if you waited to find out the gender? It already takes you days after you have the baby to pick a name. This child owuld be nameless for years.
And I don't think Heather cares so much about the amount of names you pick as much as she cares that you make helpful suggestions.
But I bet you know that.
I like Violet.
How about Heath for a boy and Dougina for a girl? You won't get any help from me, I assure you. This horrid (sorry Mom!) name game is a favorite of someone we all know and love, who shall remain nameless. I've already suggested Hyacinth and Hazel and Petunia and Pansy and Daffodil. As far as I can tell, they've been rejected. Don't worry, this too shall pass.
I vote for waiting. You have the girl stuff and the boy stuff. I think its fun!
I supported Daisy when Mom mentioned it, but only because it was presented next to Zinnia and Poppy. I would find out what you're having so at least you can restrict the frenzy of obscure names to one gender. By the way, all three of your children have fantastic names, so I guess somehow this works out in the end. The bizarre flower names actually work well for us, because then we don't have to worry about using the same names :-) If you'd like some real suggestions for names, see our comment on Emilie and Brian's blog.
I just don't see you guys with a Daisy at all! I like the following:
-Emily
-Natalie (but I know you have a Nathan already)
-Ana
-Marin
-Juliet
-Matthew
-Caleb
-Joshua
-Logan
Hey there...I am innocent. I have only given a tentative thumbs up to Daisie. Hoping deep in my heart you would nix it. Actually it is a sweet name. However I have given two EXCELLENT suggestions.
I wholly endorse the name game. AND I agree with Mark...your kids have great names I'm sure you will find one more. Doug if your remotly curious about my suggestions, you might want to contact me...Then you can suggest them to your wife...maybe she'll take them seriously.
love ya.
Wow! Was I tired when I read this blog or maybe I have been trapped in this apartment for too long with a sick child. Either way, I totally missed the fact that Doug wrote this post and not Heather. How did I miss this??? Please excuse my spacey brain! I would still push the name Amy though...
Um, I knew a little Daisy and she was precious. You should go for it!
First of all, this isn't the dark ages and waiting until the birth to find out is only going to make it twice as hard to pick out a name as you will have to find a boy AND a girl name. Also, Heather is an experienced ultrasound reader so you'll know anyway... you might as well get the money shot. Secondly, a woman needs to humanize the thing growing in her womb. It is a difficult enough ordeal without someone teasing you about the very serious business of name choosing. I speak from experience. Thirdly, also speaking from experience, there is nothing wrong with flower names for girls! You are getting no sympathy here and if you are looking for advice, I suggest going through some baby name books and picking out 5 names you like.
P.S. I don't think I wrote enough... I like Daisy (and Poppy and Dahlia and Violet for that matter).
Wow Doug~ You post and the comments and controversy follow. :)
I like the suggestion to find five names you like. Write them down ten times each first middle last...practice opening the front door and hollering said name to get a feel for what the neighbors will hear etc... Naming a babe is important. My problem has always been that I like so many names. I could still come up with many name combinations for boys and girls that I love. Getting someone else to like them is another story. I really think it isn't the name that couples grapple with its the power! Of all the wierd names you and H have come up with and the relatively normal names you have settled on leads me to think you like the process. I seem to recall "Sunniva" was high on someones list. Any regrets now about not using it?
It has a nice meaning and maybe Sunny would be a cute nic name but do you miss it?
See i really do love the name game!
love ya.
Actually, the name I toyed with when pregnant with Daphne was Solwyn. It's not so bad but Daphne was the perfect choice for Daphne.
Thanks all for the suggestions and the sock-it-to-em for Doug. I must say, however, that after this week, I'm still very fond of Daisie.
Where did Sunniva come from then????
No serious sock it to doug intended. :)
I say let it be a surprise. We decided to find out but the cord was in the way so all we got was a probably a girl. It would be more fun in hindsight if we'd just let it be a complete surprise.
I like Eleanor for a girl. But I'm trying to avoid duplicate initials so for us names with E,H,and L are out (unless I break the rule). I like Hazel too.
If you're really set on flowers though, Linnea is a flower name, from the Swedish Linnaea borealis. You can spell it however you want! Check out some British baby names or something. I think Zinnia and Poppy are fun!! (Sorry Doug, you'll find me leaning towards Heather's pref on this one....)
Linnea is one that has been mentioned by my mother. It is a lovely name. Daisie and Daphne are two of the top 25 names in Britain. Doug continually reminds me that although I love British literature, British history, British movies, British accents, WE ARE NOT BRITISH.
I beg your pardon...Not British???
Here are some American names: Sierra, Tiara Tuesday.
How about Native American: Neche,Pinquana, Omemee, Misae, Haiwee,Genesee,Acadia, Peta, or heres a flower...Mansi (plucked flower.
thank you all. I'd say the final comment from Dmaggie may has the winning name: Mansi. What could be a more fitting flower name. Hopefully it will be as if she was plucked from her mothers womb.
Okay, okay, I'm a hypocrite. I have to play the horrid name game. I've been trying to bite my tongue since this post came up, especially since I dogged the stupid game. But, here I go, unable to control my desire to seriously weigh in on your name conundrum. I've already suggested it, but again, what about Laurel? Yes, yes, it reminds one of Greek mythology but between Daphne and Laurel, don't you think they sound rather graceful together?
I love the name Laurel.
Manzi Pansey i s cute. Now that these two (Doug and Heather) have decided to not know the gender of their baby...LET THE GAMES BEGIN!
love ya.
PS The word verification today is shollyb...Sholly for a girl?
I wasn't going to play either, but how can I not, after seeing Mary's suggestion? I think Laurel goes beautifully with Daphne. Beautifully. I also like Rosemary, for what it's worth.
Post a Comment