Sunday, June 14, 2009

Mosquitoes For Sale


If I had a dime for every mosquito I killed on myself or my kids yesterday...

Alfred Hitchock's movie The Bird's is the closest thing I can think of to describe what we have been experiencing the last few days here in Missoula, Montana. Just as the birds were hell-bent on entering the old house in the movie, the swarms of mosquitoes seem determined to invade our sanctuary and drink our blood. (Like Edward?) Every time we open the garage door or the front door they come pouring in. I swear they must have been squeezing through the spaces in the screens on our windows too. According to Wikipedia, Mosquitos are adept at infiltration and have been known to find their way into residences via deactivated air conditioning units." If their little proboscises were stronger they would probably be pulling the shingles off the roof at this very moment. A dead squirrel James spotted on the side of the road was not even immune from this plaque. "Look Dad, the mosquitoes are sucking his blood, too!" he observantly pointed out to me while on a walk.

As I mowed the lawn yesterday I was horrified to see swarms of mosquitoes rising up out of the grass, quickly engulfing both the mower and me. I resisted the urge to run for my life because, well, I'm tough. Although I did knocked my glasses to the driveway in an attempt to swat one from my face. Stupid bugs.

Daphne's sense of touch must be lacking because she had about 40 bites on her arms and legs after playing outside yesterday. I never once saw her swat one, though.

Heather even has some on her lower back where she was showing an inch of skin for a few minutes while collecting yard clippings.

Despite the mosquitoes, we love Missoula. It is fun to have deer running through the yard (don't worry Brad, they were actually in the neighbor's yard) and beautiful mountain views from our kitchen window. Anyone who would like to come collect some mosquitoes (or larvae) for science projects, lizard food, wierd exotic dishes, or whatever else you can come up with, we've got lots and they're cheap. In fact, we'll give you a free night in our lodge if you want to come witness for yourselves this place we may start calling Mosquoulla.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Good news, mosquito season's has got to be ending in a week or two (or at least it did last year). Hopefully...because I vowed not to go out the last two days because of them! Hope you went with whatever swimsuit you are comfortable with-but also that you feel good in! I think it's great you like two tops, swimsuits are the hardest!