Sunday, April 5, 2009

Mischief & Mayhem Part I

I woke up early Friday morning to the smell of smoke. I jumped out of bed, heart pounding, and literally ran down the stairs in two steps. Smoke filled the kitchen but fortunately there were no flames to be seen. Closer examination revealed the source of the pungent aroma. It emanated from a watery black lump in a pink Ikea bowl. The doused blob looked to be biscotti.

Sensing a little somebody behind me I spun around and demanded, “Did you do this James?” Of course he did it. He’s been fascinated by the microwave and the open flame of our gas stove for several weeks now. (Listen closely to the second video on Saturday’s post.)

“I was just trying to warm it up in the microw…”

“How many times have I told you not to play with the microwave?”

Shrug.

“Too many. Go to time out.”

Not the best mothering but seriously I don’t know how to get through to this kid. It was 7:16am and not a soul was awake. If we die in our beds someday, you’ll know why. It was kind of scary but at least we now know our smoke detectors aren’t working.

P.S.
Dear McMullins, (our landlords)

Please do not worry on behalf of your home or dry summer acreage. James will be locked in the basement if necessary to purge this fascination with heat out of his body.

Most vigilantly your tenent,

Heather Tanner

2 comments:

Bethany @ The Paper Pony said...

What is it with boys and fire? I think you're a great mom!

Cindy said...

Don't worry too much about James; it seems that most little boys are fascinated with fire. Give it a few years and when he reaches scout age he will have lots of opportunities to get it out of his system (or burn down a National forest) haha!!