Monday, November 10, 2008

Drugged Daphne

Daphne underwent a small procedure last week at the hospital. She's had trouble with bladder infections and recently developed a double kidney infection. Not cool for a three year old. Her pediatrician ordered an ultrasound and VCUG. The VCUG is done by fluoroscopy. The nurses put a contrast into her bladder and under x-ray look to see if the contrast back flows or refluxes into her ureters and kidneys. She had to be sedated because of the catherization and length of time she needed to stay still. She was an excellent patient and the pediatric sedation team at UVRM was awesome. Here are some cute pictures of our doped up Daphne. By the way, they did find she as a slight reflux. Not sure at this point what we'll do about it.
The sedation team says every child responds to the medication differently. Daphne apparently becomes a bit silly.
Heh, heh. Look, Mom, a hand.

4 comments:

dmaggiemay said...

She looks very happy!

The Qian Family said...

Oh Heather, I'm so sorry!! Poor Daphne---she is so cute though! I'm glad she like the dope :) I hope she's okay. She is so cute and she looks just like you!

Kristin said...

Poor little thing. How is she doing now?

holly b said...

that's cute, the pics and her silliness, not the procedure. Henry had a UTI as a newborn and they did a simple check on his plumbing, but it was fine.

All those infections must be unpleasant, I hope there's a simple solution for her!