Sunday, January 15, 2012

Not Politics as Usual

Once again, months have pasted since my last post. Sorry. To use a strange word used by my children to describe a really large quantity of something, I have agoogle things to write about. So much has happened over the last four months, it is impossible to recap anything--should have sent out Christmas letters. Sufficeth to say, everyone is happy an healthy. Doug is enjoying school, I'm in good spirits, we enjoy living by family, and time is flying by.

With the start of a new political season, I'm reminded once again why I disengage myself from the computer, news, and other media bombardments. I feel so incapable and powerless when it comes to the issues, I'd much rather shove my nose into a period romance novel.

I seem to do that quite a bit, actually--disengage myself, I mean, not read romance novels. I tune into the world, get myself all fired up over this and that, write a few incendiary letters in my mind or heaven help me, in an actual and awful place like Facebook. I make resolutions to take up my sword alongside my brave brothers and sisters in the cause of justice (think Arab Spring). I will do my part. I will shout it from the hilltops. I will make bumper stickers.

Yes. Bumper stickers. Every issue can be summed up in ten words or less and everyone will know who I am and what I am by the car I drive!

Vote Conscience Not Party

Kermit the Frog for the Republican Nomination

Pro Life Liberal is not an Oxymoron

Just call it what it is--Eugenics

I falter, however, when I remember I have no desire or inclination to learn InDesign or Illustrator and a handwritten note taped to my minivan just won't have the same pizazz.

I slink back to my world of diapering and housewiffery to mull over the probable reality that what I say and do outside my little home doesn't make much difference in the largess of the issues.

Cynicism is an awful, awful thing I struggle against and why I must make an effort to refer you to these two blogs for my most recent brush with a cause worth drawing a sword for.

From Bird on the Street: Quantify This

From Wolfhirschhorn.org: Brick-Walls

Please read these posts. Forward them to family and friends. Talk about it. Be angry and disgusted and make people aware that this sentiment is alive and thriving in the United State and all over the world. Ponder it, discuss it, research it, write about it, so maybe someday when you inadvertently find yourself in a position to speak out, you will know what to say.

6 comments:

Maren B said...

HAHA! I love your bumper sticker ideas. If you end up making them, I"ll take one of each.
And I feel the same helpless way about politics.

Will & Cheyenne said...

and........SHE'S BACK!!!

Love it!

Mel said...

Love your bumper sticker ideas. And yeah, I got all fired up about those articles. What made me really sick was how many people took the doctor's side in the Yahoo! version of the article. It sort of left me with a sick feeling in my gut. But I'm glad you posted those. More people need to know.
-Melanie A.

Sara G said...

You're great! I hope we all survive the next 10 months...and I hope I get to read more of your posts.

The Qian Family said...

HI! I promise to read your recommendations but I first just wanted to say 'hi' and I love you and I LOVE to read and (hear) your thoughts. Keep 'em coming!!! Love your passion and your knowledge and the way you put things in a very real, very smart, way. Stay in touch!!!!!!!!!!! And be cheesy like the rest of us and put a cute pic of your gorgeous family up once in awhile...please???

BAja said...

https://www.cekaja.com/info/solusi-keuangan-selama-pandemik-virus-corona