My meeting today, however, was very positive—bittersweet, but positive. The teachers and administrator are very excited to have him in preschool even if it is just until the end of the school year. They were so complementary about Nate’s strengths and very encouraging about his potential. It was hard to hear the quantitative results his speech, physical, and cognitive evaluations but the words severely, significantly, or, considerably below were far out numbered by the words delightful, ability, determination and desire. It was a good meeting that I hope will be the start to a positive and rewarding relationship with the public school system.

By the way, did you know the movie line?
Casablanca.
5 comments:
Love that movie! Totally knew the line. I hope he likes preschool for the next month.
Heather, we just had our yearly IEP and I felt the same way. It's funny, I try so hard not to compare Ethan to "typically developing" kids and then I go to an IEP and they do....it seems really strange to me. Those harsh words are so hard to hear, I agree. We had several "significantly below" in our discussion too. I have decided that I wish every kid got an IEP type education, it is so personal and has been so good for Ethan. It's a new chapter...
My Hubs, a Casa Blanca expert thinks the line is: You know she's lying.
Puts a whole different slant on your post.
Whichever - you are not alone in the mixed feelings category for special education. The people you have listed in your sidebar are great resources - like Jenny and Beth.
Barbara
Mr. Expert checked the film - the line is the same as your title. Happy for you. Barbara
Thank Barbara. I haven't seen the movie in years so it wouldn't surprise me if I got it wrong. But I do think "You know she's lying" adds quite a different slant. Kinda fun.
Post a Comment