Friday, September 26, 2008

Trampoline Trauma




I’ve always hated trampolines and felt if I wanted to maim or kill my children I’d simply buy one and let ‘em loose. No, I haven’t purchase a trampoline yet, but Doug’s parents have a tramp in their back yard. So in addition to having a run-in with the police this weekend, we also had a run-in with the Dentist.
James bounces off walls just fine without the help of anything spring-loaded. Split lips, chipped and even loosened teeth are not unfamiliar to us. On Sunday, however, the trampoline supplied enough additional momentum for James to mortally injure his front tooth on his cousin’s noggin.
The tooth was almost parallel with his palate so my mother-in-law, Jan, and I took James to a retired dentist a few houses down the street. Motherly obligation required I accompany my child but I wasn’t much support. I hate teeth. Even with my back turned I knew the loud crack! wasn’t the dentist snapping his rubber glove. The sound of bone on bone is slightly disconcerting but fortunately, the dentist was able to put the tooth back in place so James could at least close his mouth.
At the pediatric dentist a few days later the x-rays showed a grim picture. It was severely fractured and displaced. The likelihood of it healing was slim and the inflammation was indicatory of potential abscess. Thursday morning the dentist pulled the tooth. The procedure went well and his permanent tooth is healthy. Still, James may grow tired of sporting the hillbilly look for the next four years.

4 comments:

dmaggiemay said...

Hi- I hate teeth too.It makes my tummy turn to think of the accident.I actually like trampolines but they are too hard to manage safely and unfortunatly the more the merrier and riskier! Maybe they should where helmets and mouth guards! James looks cute though, not at all like a hillbilly.
We had our own tooth drama last week. Anne was pushed off a slide and broke her front permanent tooth. Unfortunatly not a chip but a jagged full break about 3/4 of the tooth gone. Fortunatly it could be cosmeticly corrected with a white cap. Sad, but at this stage of the game I'm resiliant. Poor Anne really threw a fit during the process. In actuality was not the worst but the filing noise and glue smell and having to be restrained etc..it was not a comfortable experience for her. So I'm glad James's permanent tooth is a-ok.
I've just watched Pres debate. Both are impressive. It is heartining. Lots of Love to all- I'm sure enjoying your blog and photos.

Rick and Summer said...

Hi Heather,
I know your pain- RJ lost the same tooth when he was 2 years old- about 1 month before I was to have Blake. (By the way, this is Summer, Lizzy's cousin) At this time of year around Halloween he fits right in- he's our little Jack-O-Lantern. It will grow on you and someday you might even think it's adorable! :) Glad to see you guys are doing well. I saw your blog from Mary's. Love George too. I never thought to name my bike but maybe it's time I did! :)

Bethany @ The Paper Pony said...

Poor James. I agree completely with your opinion on trampolines. The fun always ends with someone crying. So, did the tooth fairy visit?

holly b said...

eeks. your descrip gives me shivers. I hate teeth pain.

we don't own a trampoline and probably won't but there are days where I think it would be fabulous to have the kids tire themselves out on it!